Blueberry Bash Contest 2014 Honorable Mention – Leigh Suznovich
Crumb Topping Ingredients: 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened for 30 seconds in microwave on high and cooled
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- First prepare crumb topping. In a bowl, combine sugar, flour, walnuts, vanilla, and cinnamon. Add the softened butter in and stir together thoroughly. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375o. Using an 8 x 8 baking pan, spray liberally with cooking spray.
- In bowl, thoroughly whisk together the cooled melted butter, eggs, milk, mascarpone and vanilla.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and gently whisk until just combined into a batter. A few little lumps are okay, you don’t want to overwork it. Switch to a rubber spatula and gently fold in the blueberries to complete the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth it out with a spatula. Evenly distribute the crumb topping on top of batter and gently press it down to make it adhere to cake.
- Bake crumb cake for 50-55 minutes, until the crumb top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool at least 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!