Blueberry Bash Bake-Off Winner 2012-Dave Morreale
- 1/4 cup hot water (105 o to 115 o)
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup + 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature plus extra for pan
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Zest of 2 medium lemons
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- In small bowl, sprinkle yeast and 1 tsp sugar over water heated to105o-115o. Stir and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In electric stand mixer, beat butter until smooth. Mix in remaining sugar, salt and half of the flour until well combined.
- Meanwhile, preheat milk to 105o-115o. Slowly add to mixer bowl.
- Then add remaining flour. Continue to beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Remove bowl from mixer.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in lemon zest and blueberries. Pour into buttered 10 cup capacity fancy tube pan. Smooth out top. Bake at 400o for 5 minutes. Turn down oven to 350o and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.