Roasting the beets brings out their sweet flavor and combined with mint and cilantro makes a fresh topping for the cauliflower and broccoli base. What a flavorful summer dish!
Roasted beet salsa
4 medium Terhune Orchards golden beets (or any combination of beets)
4 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons finely diced shallots
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon finely diced jalapeno pepper
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ cup minced fresh Terhune Orchards mint
¼ cup minced fresh Terhune Orchards cilantro
2 teaspoons lime juice
- To roast the beets: Preheat the oven to 375 F. Trim the tops off the beets and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season the beets with salt and pepper, wrap them in aluminum foil and roast them until tender (a paring knife slipped into the middle should penetrate easily) about 40-50 minutes. Let them cool in the foil.
- While the beets are roasting, place the shallots, ginger, jalapeno, garlic, mint, cilantro, lime juice and remaining three tablespoons of oil in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- While the beets are cooling, roast the broccoli and cauliflower (see below).
- When cool, peel the beets by slipping the skins off your fingers. Dice and add them to the salsa mixture, stiffing to combine. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt, pepper and perhaps a bit more lime juice. Set aside.
Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
2 large stems Terhune Orchards broccoli (florets and stalks)
1 large head Terhune Orchards cauliflower
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- While beets are cooling, turn up oven temp to 400 F to preheat for roasting broccoli and cauliflower
- Slice the broccoli and cauliflower into 1 inch pieces and toss them in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet; roast, turning halfway through, until tender. About 20 minutes.
- Use broccoli and cauliflower mixture as a base for the beet salsa. Serve warm or room temp.