Long time Terhune Orchards Apple Corps red shirt, Stacey, shared a recipe she often uses with our swiss chard. Its a hearty one dish recipe with plenty of flavor.
- 3 cups cooked or canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt to taste
- 2 lbs Swiss chard, sliced into 2 inch pieces or however you like
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper or to taste
- 1 cup plum tomatoes crushed by hand if canned, peeled and chopped if fresh
- Eggs, as many as you like, fried or poached
- Bread, to serve
Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet or pot (big enough to hold the chard) and sauté the garlic until sizzling.
Add the tomato paste and fry it for a minute.
Add the red pepper flakes and stir that around.
Add the tomatoes, stir everything together and bring to a boil.
Add in the chard and cook until it is wilted, to your desired tenderness.
Stir in the beans and boil everything together to reduce the liquid.
Add the salt to taste. When it is done, drizzle with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil.
Serve with a fried or poached egg on top and bread.